Sunday, January 10, 2016

Persistence of a Polaroid


Life is life a circle because things come back around like the LP and portable photography.
I remember the first gen Polaroid flip-ups, like clunky transformers, hand-held photo booths. Magical really.
I came across one of these polaroid prints of antiquity, its still in good shape and I do not look pretty.
On the back, the yellowish bottom, the date caught me, written as three slash ninety-one.
I'll show it to you if you listen.
Three stand shoulder to shoulder in a dirt driveway. Behind them peaks the front of a pewter sedan.
Tall weeping willows fill the skyline behind them. A low white farm fence, the corner of an eave, two spilt terra cotta pots overgrown with happy green weeds and the three people squint at you in the hazy sun. Three shades of blondes together dis harmoniously.
The older man and woman wear black and white bright tennis shoes, the only formality their stiff posture, hands buried as fists both deep in the front pockets of their jeans.
A teen, she is fifteen, stands to their left holding a wildflower in her hands as though she has been twiddling it amused. Her babydoll dress is a full vase itself, her black tights do not shadow or slim her weight-but she smiles slightly and honestly in comfortable slippers.
The couple look as though they have been betrayed in some way.
The man with a mustache, dark denim jeans and Joe's Tavern black sweatshirt stands slightly behind and in the middle of the mother and daughter who bear no resemblance-which I know because I was there.
And I don't remember all the details...it looks to me like nowhere I'd want to be.
Such is the nature of a picture, to capture time and always have the same version of telling it as it was and not how it should be.
I happened to be looking for another photo and I think it was a Kodak, but for some reason that Kodak moment was meant to be lost and I decided to find out a little more about the inventor only to discover he passed away in March of 1991. Full circle moments always find you, and with a Polaroid, it will most certainly come back around like a full circle moment and it seems getting them lost is much harder than it sounds.

Image By Piercetheorganist at English Wikipedia (Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons.) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment